Here is another great game idea from Susie Bjorkland of Freedom Farm in Minnesota!!!
I am going to show you pictures of the props first, so you can try to guess what she uses them for, and think up all the possibilities! These were made by a rider’s parents, with “The Barn” written across the top of one, and “The Hut” written on the other. There is a picture of how they stand, too.
The Barn and The Hut
- Place the barn and the hut in different areas of arena.
- Put many beanies / stuffed animals all over arena. (see Teaching Tips: Use Beanie Babies)
- Have a group discussion about what kind of animals would live in a barn (farm) and what kind would live in a hut (jungle).
- Direct the riders to get 2 animals (beanie babies) that live in the hit and 2 animals that live in the barn, and go put them in the correct house.
- You can change the directions as needed for your class.
Your students can practice lots of things with this one! Whoa, walk on, steering, whoaing at just the right spot, reaching, discussion, social skills, problem solving, etc.
Thank you Susie, for sharing!
Note: This is not professional advice, this is a blog. I am not liable for what you do with or how you use this information. The activities explained in this blog may not be fit for every rider, riding instructor, or riding center depending on their current condition and resources. Use your best personal judgement!